Thursday, November 12, 2009

Authentic Mexican Food: No Passport Required

Last Spring, someone recommended that my coworker and I try an authentic Mexican Restaurant with a weird name. We wandered the streets, reading the Spanish signs until we finally found it. We walked in, and it looked more like a factory than a restaurant. No one spoke English. Luckily, my Spanish speaking coworker asked where the restaurant was, and we were pointed next door. I guess when you wander into a tortilla factory while in search of tacos, you're in good shape.

But wait, I wasn't in Mexico, I was in West Chicago.

Mmm, tasty authentic Mexican food without getting out your passport! Yes please.

I scoped out another restaurant in Chicago's Spanish speaking neighborhoods: Cemitas Puebla. I saw it on DDD (Diner's, Drive Ins, and Dive's) and I have been dying to go for almost a year now, but it's a little out of the way and I just never made it until my most recent visit.

The story? The family that owns the restaurant returns to their "puebla" once a month to get ingredients, including the awesome cheese that comes on your Cemita in generous handfuls. Check out their website and drool over the video of Guy's visit.



Cemitas Puebla
3619 W. North Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647


No comments:

Post a Comment